An independent voice for the diverse lesbian and gay communities since 1993, there’s never been a more important time to strengthen the voice of your community, as JOY 94.9 commences its annual Radiothon.
This year JOY 94.9 has faced massive backlash within the community simply for existing. The station had a homophobic bomb scare earlier in the year which forced them to evacuate the building, they’ve also faced threatening and abusive phone calls to the JOY volunteers who identify as LGBTI and a massive backlash over the station’s support of the same school coalition, marriage equality and fighting to recognise LGBTI as equal members of society. JOY is fighting back!
“Australia is making changes in advancing LGBTI rights, but our community still fight for equality and acceptance in many areas of daily life,” says JOY 94.9 CEO Tennille Moisel. With marriage equality still not legal and leaders like Trump being elected, we still need JOY 94.9, now, more than ever, to advocate for LGBTI rights. We can’t do that without our community and ally support.”
JOY 94.9 is an LGBTI volunteer-based community radio station committed to providing a voice for our diverse communities, enabling freedom of expression, the breaking down of isolation and the celebration of our culture, achievements and pride.
The theme for this year’s Radiothon is We Still Need JOY – now more than ever, here’s some reasons why:
- Harassment, bullying and homophobia are STILL an issue in Australia with LGBTI young people up to 14 times more likely to attempt suicide;
- Almost half of LGBTI identifying people hide their sexual orientation or gender identity in public for fear of violence or discrimination;
- It remains illegal for gay couples to adopt children they are not biologically related to in Queensland and the Northern Territory;
- Gay men in Australia are still forbidden to donate blood for fear of HIV transmission regardless of a gay man’s sexual history or relationship status; and
- We still don’t have marriage equality…
Did you know that JOY 94.9 is 1 of only 3 stations worldwide that broadcasts LGBTI content 24 hours a day? It costs over $2700 to keep JOY on air for one day. They rely on donations, memberships and the work of hundreds of volunteers to keep them broadcasting.
To help JOY 94.9 continue to campaign for LGBTI rights, and be a platform for LGBTI voices across Australia, they are needing our support – with some incredible prizes up for grabs including a Holden Astra, a Moto GP 2017 VIP Experience, and a Midsumma 2018 Festival VIP Package.
The 2017 Radiothon continues to 30 June. For more information, visit: www.joy.org.au for details.
Image: JOY 94.9 at Pride March (supplied)